Pages

Monday, September 29, 2008

Aussie Pride and tiny squares...

Well this past week has certainly been a busy one. Some family from interstate came over to visit for the past week, and I have been still sick, so as a result not one ounce of sewing was done this week! Oh the horror! However, I intend to sew all day today. I'm involved in a number of swaps on the Handmade Craft Forum, so I'm hoping to complete some blocks today for those.

I'm also hoping to work on a design that has been forming in my mind for the last couple of months. I am really eager to do an Australiana themed wallhanging, as I love my country, and everything about it. I have already collected a number of Australian coloured fabrics (browns, greens and yellows...earthy colours.) I can picture the wallhanging in my mind, and it involves stitcheries of Australian scenes, animals and plants. So I'm hoping I will finally find the time to sit down and actually draw some of the pictures that are floating around in my mind!




A few weeks ago, whilst I was rumaging through some old boxes of fabrics, I came across this little plastic bag filled with 1.5" squares of purple/white/and blue fabrics! There were hundreds of them and I had forgotten all about them. When I was about 12, I had had a grand idea to make a wallhanging using tiny squares, and arranging the colours to create a heartshaped pattern. Of course, back then I had no idea about rotary cutting, or strip piecing...so I had innocently measured and cut out all these seperate hundreds of tiny squares all by hand! Of course, the accuracy of my cutting had left alot to be desired, and so the squares ranged in size from 1" to 1 3/4"! I had already started to sew some strips together that no where near resembled a straight line of fabric. I vaguely remember getting frustrated with the project and throwing it away, never to be seen again.

So now, 11 years on, I stumbled across the bag of fabrics, all too pretty to throw away, so now I have decided to make something with them...anything! What I will end up making...no idea, but I shall let you know when I decide!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you enjoy your creating!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

How wonderful that you found a project from your childhood. Enjoy repurposing the squares. Love your idea for an Aussie wallhanging.

Anonymous said...

https://www.marijuanacartsmarket.com/

https://www.marijuanacartsmarket.com/

https://www.marijuanacartsmarket.com/

https://www.marijuanacartsmarket.com/